Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Third of the Fables

The original Fable game was a masterful creation. The stylised cartoony look suited the game and environment perfectly. The storyline was somewhat unique for games of that time as it involved quite a lot of tragedy and difficult decisions that could turn out badly. The combat also flowed really well. You could swing your sword knocking back an enemy and immediately throw a fireball to follow it up. There was a huge amount of customisability as well in clothing choice, hairstyles and tattoos. The main hook to Fable 1 was the choices you had to make between good and evil and this was done really well. You had three alignment choices throughout the game; good, evil and neutral. These depended upon what actions you performed (and also on some foods you ate). There were also some very interesting quest chains you could complete, for instance the arena section.

Now in anticipation of another fantastic game I pre-ordered Fable 3. With the pre-order you got some unique weapons and clothing items. My immediate reaction was that the unique cartoony style was gone, it was still fairly stylised but looked more realistic now. This didn't necessarily take away from the game but it was not a welcome change for me at least. The storyline was fairly similar to the original game with the same sort of beginning and end goal, the interim was slightly different however. A lot of the quests were fairly limp and uninteresting and made you travel through many pointless areas as if to draw out the quest as much as it could. Another thing that bothered me was the lack of choice you had, most choices were black and white/good and evil with no sort of middle ground or any way to backtrack on your decision. You were fairly limited in all of your choices and even in your customising there were less options of clothes and tattoos that you could wear. The combat in Fable 3 was a lot less streamlined than the original and I found it very clunky trying to switch between different weapon styles, sticking mostly to the gun, and found I got hit a lot as the dodging system did not work as well as in the original.

Overall I enjoyed the game and feel I got my monies worth out of it but I do not see myself going back and playing it over again as I tend to with Fable 1. It is just too restricted and linear to make me want to redo the entire story.

No comments:

Post a Comment