Wednesday, September 14, 2011

In the Emperor's Name!

A game that I have had my eye on for a long time now is Space Marine. While I loved the Dawn of War series (I mean the first ones because the second one sucked...) I found they lacked that visceral edge that Space Marine appears to have.

I haven't had the chance to play the full game yet so I can only base this off of playing the demo.
You start the game with a basic set of weapons, Bolt Pistol and Chainsword (which are awesome by the way) and you are pretty much thrown into the story, and more importantly into the hordes of enemies.

The first time you fire your Bolt Pistol, you feel like You are ACTUALLY FIRING your Bolt Pistol. The sound is absolute perfection, there are plenty of war games that have the sound of a gun and that's great they sound like guns. This sounds like a Bolt Pistol, a fictional futuristic weapon that fires a uranium slug.
Yea... That's how good they made it sound...

The combat in general is really good as it throws you, a somewhat indestructible Space Marine, against Hordes of weaker Orks. This lets you throw yourself into the fights and really get into the action, rather than the duck and cover combat that seems to have become the standard for most shooters...

The game is pretty much linear as far as I can tell, with a few side paths that may contain ammo or collectables.

The voice acting is very good. The graphics while not amazing are quite detailed and the blood and gore while fighting makes up for any lacking graphics...

Overall it is a quite enjoyable hack and slash/third person shooter game and it is even more enjoyable for someone really interested in 40k. However I don't know if it is worth the asking price right now I would say to definately play the demo if you have any interest in it and then decide for yourself if it is worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment